Friday 18 December 2009

Ben's Evaluation










In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

· My media product uses and challenges different forms of media because I have used micros which creates the macro, the overall media product.

· The micros I have used are a date, barcode, masthead, puffs and page numbers to create a real media product. They way I have used a barcode is to show how much my magazine costs and to make it look professional. Also I have used page numbers so the consumer can find out which article he wants to read and easy to locate. I have also used a masthead which suits the style of magazine of I have chosen. The masthead is big and bold which stands out and makes it aesthetically pleasing. Also the puffs that I have used are clear and have used short sentences so it catches the reader’s eye and maybe want to read the article.

· The photographs I have used look professional and make the magazine looks professional as how I have used them and laid them out on the magazine.

· The double page spread shows the article I have written for the band and the questions of the interview.

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

My magazine represents that different classes may not like they genre of magazine I have chosen such as the upper class listens to more classical and jazz type of music. Also the middle classes and working classes may listen to more rock, hiphop, dance etc which may interest the readers to buy my magazine.

Another way my magazine represents different social groups are gender, my magazine is rock so it would appeal to boys more than girls.

Also race may be an issue because they may not like my type of magazine as they could be more stereotypically as black people listen to more hiphop than rock. This could be a disadvantage as my magazine is more rock and the people who don’t like the type of genre won’t buy the magazine.



What kind of media institution might distribute your product and why?

A media institution works with a company to create a form of media for the consumer. The media institution I have chosen for my magazine is EMAP as they create such magazines as FHM, Kerrang and Empire. As their target audience are young men and teenagers as they listen to their own style of music as the consumers have become independent.

Who would be your target audience for your media product?

Looking back at the research I did to find out which target audience would suit my magazine I created a questionnaire to find out and the result was most people liked rock magazines so I decided to use the information I found out and create a rock genre magazine. The target audience for my magazine is teenagers who are aged between 14-19 because the target audience have become independent and may have chose there own genre of music to listen to.

How did you attract/address your audience?

I attracted my target audience as I have used colours that stand out and match the genre of my magazine I have chosen.

The way I have attracted them is used a bold masthead so it is clear and stands out from the background.

Also I have created my own brand by creating my own masthead and using a peace sign and used them together.

They way I have addressed my target audience is used informal language so it suits them and they may understand it more. Also I have not used a fancy text, but instead have used a more grungy text which suits the magazine.


What have learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

I have used many new technologies such as the digital camera, the green screen, photo manipulation software such as serif photo-plus. I have used the digital camera to take the photographs at different angles to make it look professional. Also I would be able to manipulate them using serif photo-plus.

Also I have used the green screen which is new to me; I used it so I could add a new background using paint.net so it looked like a media product.



This is what chroma-key is I used this image for the double page spread

I used a desktop publishing package called serif draw-plus which I used to create my magazine

Looking back at your preliminary task what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it the full product?

Looking back at the school magazine I created the photography I took has improved as on the school magazine they aren’t very clear and are blurred which makes the magazine unprofessional. Also I forget to add page numbers to the puffs on the school magazine on the contents page so it would be hard for the reader to find out an article he wants to read. Also they way I set out my school magazine is different to the music magazine as the music magazine is more clear and easier to understand for the consumer
I also created this evaluation on powerpoint presentation in class

No comments:

Post a Comment