Friday 18 December 2009

Lee's Evaluation















In what ways does your media product use develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media product?

My magazine uses, develops and challenges forms of media as I have used micros to create a macro that is a real media product.
Such as a barcode. I have used a barcode to show the price of the magazine I decided to add a barcode as real magazines do this as I found out from my research that magazines have barcodes so the price can be found easily. I have also placed the price next to the barcode as a real product would have I have chosen the price to be £3.90 as most rock magazines are priced at £4.50 to £5.00 so I have lowered my price to be competitive towards other magazines. I have used a big bold masthead to stand out like a rock magazine as real rock and grunge magazine titles all stand out because of their colour and size I found this out from researching rock and heavy metal magazines.
This shows I have used qualities of a real magazine and placed them into my product to make it seem more realistic. My magazine also contains page numbers to show which page contains what information. My contents page shows different articles and what pages they are on so if a customer was to look for a certain article it could be easily found via the contents page. Effects like this show that my media product is realistic and looks like a real rock magazine. I have also added the date to my magazine so customers know if they are purchasing the most recent magazine. The most important feature my product contains is photographs as all magazines contain some form of photography my main image is in the centre like a real magazine.

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

My media product represents certain social groups as I have aimed it at certain types of people. I think my product is not aimed at upper class as not many upper class people enjoy listening to rock or read magazines. I believe it is aimed more at a younger more middle class and working class generation.
I feel it is aimed more towards white people as not many black people listen to rock music it is more likely that they would listen to the Hip-hop genre. My magazine isn’t aimed at a particular sex it but it leans more towards males as I believe more males listen to rock and heavy metal style bands however some females do enjoy this style of music so I decided not to aim it at a certain sex.
Different magazines use different techniques to appeal to a certain target audience the main differences are colours, fonts, images and mastheads. These differences can be clearly noticed when comparing magazines between the two sexes.

What kind of media institution might distribute your product and why?

A media institution might work with a magazine company to form a certain media type for the consumer. The media institution I have chosen for my magazine is EMAP as they create such magazines as Kerrang, FHM and Empire. Their target audience is young men and women and teenagers and my magazine is the same type of magazine as Kerrang so this is why I chose this institution.

Who would be the audience for your media product?

The target audience for my magazine would be teenagers from about the age of 14-23 years old. As I found from my research that many people who are leaving college or who are in university who are listening to this style of music and I set the magazine at a fair price as university students could buy it without it costing a lot.


How did you attract/address your audience?

I attracted my audience by using certain colours that match the same genre as my magazine. I created my own brand by adding a peace sign to my masthead. I used bold colours to make my masthead noticeable and stand out so it can be easily read.
I addressed my audience by using informal language so it could be read easily. I also use a grungy style font which suits the genre of the magazine.

What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

I used technologies new to me such as using a digital camera and manipulating the photographs I had taken. To manipulate the photos I used serif photoplus and I also used a green screen to chroma –key the images to change the background behind them for this I used paint. Net.

I used the digital camera to take different pictures from different angles to make them seem more professional. I also changed the lighting effects to make the room seem dark or light.
I showed that I can use desktop publishing packages as I created the magazine on serif Draw-plus.

I manipulated photos by adding different effects to them.






This first image is the original one I had taken on the camera without any effects added to it. The second image shows I had added an effect called paper cut-outs to make the image more like a cartoon then I added grey-scale so it stood out from the background of the magazine this makes the image look like a grunge style photograph. In the third image I used chroma –key to delete the background so the image would blend into my background.

I used the green screen to manipulate this image.


Looking back at your preliminary task what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?

Looking back at my preliminary task I learnt that my photography skills having improved as when creating my school magazine my photographs were blurred and wasn’t very clear, but now I when taking photographs for my music magazine they are a lot clear and easier to see..
Also I didn’t add page numbers on my school magazine or on the puffs so people reading the magazine wouldn’t know which articles are on what page.
The way I set out my magazine is different to the school magazine because the school magazine was hard to understand and was unclear to read whereas the music magazine is more clear and easier to understand.
I also created this evaluation on a powerpoint presentation in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment